Storm Assistance Information

Immediate assistance

For state residents with immediate needs, we encourage you to contact the Red Cross. Call the Red Cross at 1-866-GET-INFO (438-4636), and they will put you in touch with local resources. Find your local Red Cross chapter online. For information about storm-related community resources and services, individuals may dial 2-1-1 on their phone around the state.

County emergency contact information

Emergency Management Division information

Contact your insurance company to start a claim

  1. Immediately call your agent or insurance company and have the following information with you:
    • Your policy number
    • Where you can be reached - a telephone number/email address
    • If your agent writes policies for more then one company, be ready to provide the name of the insurance company.
  2. After you report your loss:
    • An adjustor will work with you to calculate the value of damage and a repair estimate
    • Keep your agent informed if your contact information changes.
  3. Before the adjustor arrives
    • Separate damaged items from undamaged items
    • Take photos
    • Make a list of damaged or lost items and include their age and value where possible
    • If local officials require the disposal of damaged items, keep a swatch or other sample of damaged items
    • Keep any damage estimates provided to you by contractors and provide to adjustor
    • Contact insurance company if adjustor is not assigned to you within several days

Report damages

  • Contact your local Emergency Management Office to report damage so it can be used to obtain appropriate federal assistance.
  • Farmers and ranchers should contact their local USDA Farm Service Agency and:
    • Report physical losses, crop and production losses or need for credit as soon as the loss is known.
    • Farmers and ranchers who have crop insurance should also report damages to their insurance agent.
  • Use the USDA Service Center Locator to find your nearest USDA Service Center in Washington. Information provided can help in evaluating the extent of the damage.
  • Remaining livestock carcasses need to be disposed of safely to prevent the spread of illness and disease. Department of Ecology, the Department of Agriculture and others are collaborating to simplify the transport and safe disposal of dead animals. Farmers can also call their local health or solid waste departments for assistance.

Register for federal assistance

  • Register with the Federal Emergency Management Agency - FEMA
    • Call 1-800-621-FEMA, or
    • Apply online
      NOTE: If you do not register, you will not get help.
  • Assistance that may be available to eligible applicants:
    • Housing Assistance
      • Temporary Housing: Money is available to rent a different place to live, or a government provided housing unit when rental properties are not available. Search for information about housing rental resources.
      • Home repair assistance: Money is available to homeowners to repair damage from the disaster to their primary residence that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to make the damaged home safe, sanitary, and functional.
      • Replacement assistance for destroyed homes: Money is available to homeowners to replace their home destroyed in the disaster that is not covered by insurance. The goal is to help the homeowner with the cost of replacing their destroyed home.
    • Small Business Administration Disaster Loans
      • For home repair and personal property for owners and renters
      • For business physical loss and economic injury
    • Other Needs Assistance

      ONA provides grants for uninsured, disaster-related necessary expenses and serious needs. To qualify for this assistance, an applicant must first apply to the Small Business Administration Disaster Home Loan Program and either to be declined for assistance, or demonstrate that SBA assistance is insufficient to meet all disaster-related necessary expenses and serious needs. Other Needs Assistance includes grants for:
      • Medical
      • Dental
      • Funeral
      • Personal property
      • Transportation
      • Certain other disaster related serious needs or expenses.

      NOTE: Federal assistance is only meant to help with essential needs. It is not an insurance program and will not indemnify all disaster related losses.

  • Other assistance programs that may also be available

Disaster tax questions

Let family and friends know that you are safe

  • Register with the Safe and Well - Red Cross
  • Register with National Emergency Family Registry and Locator System (FEMA)
    • Register you and your family: 1-800-588-9822
    • Find family or friends (over 21): 1-800-588-9822
    • Find a missing child (under 21): 1-866-908-9570
  • Use the Community Voice Mail,, a free, 24-hour nationwide voice mail service, to help connect people in crisis.

Coping with disaster (Mental Health Information)

Unemployment benefits

  • If your employer is closed or you can't get to work due to the storm or flooding, you may qualify for unemployment benefits.

Beware of repair scams

The Attorney General is warning Washington residents to beware of possible flood-related repair scams including fraudulent home repair offers and charity appeals. Here are some following tips:

  • Insist on seeing proper identification from anyone who offers assistance for pay;
  • Never provide personal information to an unknown caller or someone who comes to the door; and
  • Avoid contractors who solicit door to door, pressure you for an immediate decision, accept only cash, request all or most of the money up front, offer an exceptionally low bid or refuse to provide a written contract. Whenever possible, homeowners should work with a local contractor they know and trust.

Food assistance

  • Individuals who have suffered hardships in the storm may be eligible for food assistance. Contact the state Department of Social and Health Services.

Drinking water safety

Individuals with questions and concerns about drinking water safety may contact the state Department of Health at 1-800-521-0323.

Shelter information

For information about Red Cross emergency shelters:

Road closure and travel condition information

  • For the latest on road closures and travel conditions, drivers are advised to check their travel plans before departure at:
  • Updated travel information is also available by calling 5-1-1.

How can I help?